Music for Your Pleasure

Capture of the Year

It came as a very pleasant surprise for many Singaporeans as they awoke this glorious morning with the news that the country’s most wanted fugitive, Mas Selamat Kasteri has finally placed behind bars. (Today newspaper afternoon edition) For those of you who did not know. Mat Selamat is a terrorist, he once plotted to hijacked a plane and crash it into Changi Airport. He was arrested but escaped from Whitley Road Detention Centre on Feb 27 2008. More than a year later he is now behind bars again.

I have always wondered when he would be caught. I have seen his picture splashed on the board at the Singapore immigration at Tuas when each time I go back home to Malaysia. To me he looked not quite the villian he is made out to be. I guess that you cannot judge a book by its cover.

How did he escape from the tight security at the Whitley Road Detention Centre also baffles me. How did he end up in Malaysia? Did he have insider collaboration? I read the story about his escape in the same paper. It sure looks to me that this has been a well planned escape and he could not have done it alone. Maybe someone will make a movie.

I like detective stories and this Mas Selamat saga has got to me. I will definitely be checking the newspaper more frequently for any updates. And anybody with more juicy news about this infamous jailbird please write to me.



0 comments: